Pregnancy - Preparing your Labor BagWhen you are near the end of your pregnancy, it's important to have a labor bag waiting by the door. That way, when you go into labor and have many other things to worry about, packing isn't one of them.
Your key thought when preparing for labor must be your COMFORT. This could be a 2 hour process or a 24 hour one. There's no telling beforehand. It won't matter what you look like or if your hair is brushed. All that matters is that you are comfortable and as relaxed as possible, because a relaxed body will get through the labor more quickly and it'll be easier for the child to be born.
Here are some key things to include:
* VERY comfy clothes. Sweats, tshirts, socks, slippers
* Your regular toiletries, for afterwards
* Something snuggly and comforting. A favorite robe or pillow or doll
* A portable tape/CD player and music. Choose whatever soothes you
* A camera, even if you think you won't want pictures. You might change your mind!
* Bottled water, gatorade, or whatever else you really enjoy
* Your favorite snack food. It doesn't matter if it's healthy - at this point your happiness is more important than 10 extra calories
* Something with your favorite scent on it - a pillow works well
Again, the key is to surround yourself with comfort thoughts. Don't worry about looking silly. Believe me, doctors have seen it all, and they understand. The most important thing is that you are as relaxed as you can be, as surrounded by comfort as possible, so that the whole process is as smooth and easy as possible.
Lisa Shea Homepage