What is Philosophy?
Before you begin learning about philosophy and its history, it's good to know what philosophy is all about.
Dictionary.com says that philosophy has many meanings, as you might guess!
* Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
* Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
* A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.
* The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
* The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
* The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.
* A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.
* A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.
Philosophy Basics Main Page
Lisa Shea Homepage